Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Free Response Number Ten: Social Influence

I found our last class topic very intriguing. It brought me back to my old high school days, oddly enough. I felt I could relate to some degree the types of peer pressure and social influence that most teenagers experience. However, my perception was a bit altered because I had a parent who was very sick and underwent surgery before I entered high school. As such, I had to grow up pretty fast in a lot of ways. By the time I enrolled in high school, all the drama that went on was not relevant to me. Now as an adult and seeing how teenagers develop, I can understand why they behave a certain way. It is just that when I was in that experience it did not make as much sense to me.

I liked how one social group was the popular type, which could apply to the nice popular kid that most people like. My high school was a small school, so most people in my class at least knew who everyone was. Granted, there were popular kids that people disliked, but then there were a few that multiple types of groups could relate to and wanted to be friends with. I liked those kids. I think that growing up, to me the term "popular" equated a status of power, not always positive, but enough to where that person could get away with a lot of stuff. Personally, I was a good kid overall. I was a bit quiet, but I got along with my teachers well and had a good group of friends. We were the smart kids, the good kids. I liked the friends I had in high school. I think because I was a bit more shy I did not try to branch out as much. As an adult, I do not care what people generally think of me and will try things if I find them interesting or moving to my personality. I wish I could have been more of a rebellious type or an artist. I was so envious of those kids because they had this freedom to express themselves in ways I felt I could not because of my inhibition. I think that when I have children I will encourage them more to develop into their own person. Sure, they should work hard and try their best in all they do, but I do not want them to feel like they always have to perform or become a cookie cutter student. I want them to develop their own distinct personalities.

I was intrigued by Jonah's take on "Freedom Writers." I personally love that movie and thought that Erin Gruwell portrayed a positive image of what a good teacher should be. However, I do understand his thoughts on the whole Savior Complex. Being a subject of racial opposition myself, I do not appreciate nor do I think it healthy to buy into this belief that a white person is God and can make everything better. I think that the movie alone may be an overrepresentation. However, I think that the real story is more realistic and perhaps more palatable for many people who felt that same way. I have done a little bit of research on the real story of the freedom writers and on Erin Gruwell. From what I have seen in interviews and testimonies, Erin Gruwell did come in as this perky, I-can-change-world figure, but from what she recounts her students hated her at the very beginning. They saw her as a symbol of white oppression and wanted nothing to do with her, so the struggle with race and racial authority seemed to ring true for these students. However, she helped over one hundred kids earn a diploma, and many of them enrolled in college and obtained degrees afterward. So maybe she is an exception or was just someone with a really good heart who would not give up until she had gotten through to her kids. At the end of the day, I will take the movie and the true story with a grain of salt and judge for myself.

The final topic I wanted to post on was gangs. I am familiar with the concept of gangs and am aware of their portrayal in the media. I have never had any experience with gangs, but I can understand how it can pervade school culture. As a teacher, I am intrigued about learning more about gangs. But, more importantly, I want to look outside of that gangster exterior and try to see my student for who he/she really is.


No comments:

Post a Comment