Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Free Response Number Eight: Bronfenbrenner, Piaget and Vygotsky

A lot of the information covered in class concerning Bronfenbrenner, Piaget, and Vygotsky made sense to me. Of course, I already know quite a bit about Piaget and Vygotsky, so I guess the lecture was re-emphasizing what I already knew. I found Bronfenbremmer's theory extremely interesting. For me, I believe that the areas of family, community, and area do play a big influence on a child's development. It reminds me of the saying "It takes a village." Really, it is not quite anywhere near Bronfenbrenner's beliefs. In some way though, I feel that the individuals who are involved--family members, peers, teachers, authority figures, can shape a child's learning and experiences.

I really enjoyed Audrey and Georganna's presentation and I thought they did a good job of making me think. Although I am a critical thinker, it takes me a while to formulate my thoughts. I will collaborate as much as you need me to, but I may not always be the first one to voice out ideas or come up with a solution to the problem. Their lesson did have a good point though. Even if we have crystallized intelligence, it does not mean we cannot learn any more than we have already had. I think that in many situations people must tap into both their fluid and crystallized intelligence.

I enjoyed hearing about Piaget again. Like I had mentioned, I took a development course during my undergrad career, specifically a human developmental psychology class. I loved that class and found that information that I learned extremely interesting. Maybe the fact that it dealt with human development was what interested me the most out of all the psychology classes I have taken. Granted, I have learned quite a bit from this class and believe it will help me in my teaching career, but human development just seems the most interesting and applicable overall. At the end of the day though, all aspects of psychology have a role to play. I enjoyed the group activity in which each of us had to role-play in order to convey a certain aspect or theme of one of Piaget's developmental stages. It actually helped me to internalize things more because I had to analyze it, think about it, and act it out. I do agree with most critics concerning the appropriate pacing of when a child reaches each developmental stage. I feel like some twelve or thirteen year-olds do not enter the formal operations stage until later on in life. But then again, like what was mentioned in class, there are those who advance early on. When I was in Thailand, I had a family of neighbors with whom I was very close. They had a son who was eleven at the time. At only eleven years old, my neighbor could already tell that he could reason just a little bit more deeply than most of his peers. It was very neat to see.

As far as cultural relevance goes, I do believe that Piaget could have adapted his theories in a way that made use of a more universal application. But then again, the man focused on using his children for experimentation. I really do not know if he thought to make his findings more universal. In any case, he did provide us good guidelines in which to follow and track childhood development. In terms of Vygotsky, I keep thinking back to my own constructivist views and the extent to which I can really a lot of relevant theory from this man. His applications seem so relevant to me--mediated learning experiences, guided participation. This is all great stuff for me to use because they are at the core of my teaching philosophy. Maybe I will incorporate some of these elements into the final draft of my paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment