Total Pageviews

Friday, June 20, 2014

Free Response Number Seven: Intelligence and Group Differences

I enjoyed learning about the different intelligence theories. I think that, although IQ tests are still used as a main measure for performance, our society has become better at looker at other components. I really enjoyed watching the Battle of the Brains video. I thought it was quite intriguing to see how several different masterminds are pitted together. I have never been formally tested for an IQ test, and I am unsure if I would still want to undergo that type of testing. I am somewhat curious to know where I fall on the distribution curve, but my life would still be just fine not knowing it. For some reason, I am really interested in Gardner's Eight Intelligences theory. I had learned about him in a developmental psychology class I took my freshman year of college, and it has stuck with me since then. I think the biggest trait that attracts me to it is the fact that a person can have one or two predominant types of intelligences. They do not simply have to be tested on standard IQ, again something that we as a society focus too much on. While this type of perspective offers a different piece of the puzzle, it does show that everyone is different and has unique skills and traits to offer. To me, going off on a pure IQ test is discounting so many other variables that a person comes with.

I really enjoyed the group differences discussion. I have enjoyed every group differences discussion presented in class. I think that these topics are relevant, hot button issues that challenge us with real, authentic problems that pervade education. The issue of race linked to intelligence prompted me to think deeper about the subject. I believe it to be both unfair and unethical to discount a person's intelligence based on race. I also think that certain races are subject to more prejudice than others. For instance, white people are generally not discriminated against when it comes to intelligence. Asians usually have a more positive association concerning intelligence, although I still believe people stereotype them on the fact that they are Asians. Like JD mentioned during the last class period, I feel like black people are discriminated against the most. I understand his neighbor's rationale for wanting to send his child to a good school; it sounds like a lot of injustice had taken place on his end.

In relation to race, I believe that it is an issue that will continue to shape culture and society for years to come. Even though we as educators try to be objective, we will always form some type of bias. Some may be better at hiding different types of biases from their students. Some teachers may truly believe in racial equality and can circumvent those issues better in their classroom environment. However, this does not mean that they falter in other areas. Reflecting back on the discussion wrap-up, I believe that much of how we handle these conflicts are through self-reflection and evaluation. As long as we continue to engage in these practices, it will help us keep a more objective view on things.

In terms of the workshop, I found it helpful to have a checklist in from of me to see the areas I need to improve on. There are certain components that are lacking, and it helps to have a clear, concrete visual to guide you along. I was surprised at the page length of my CSEL. When I started I thought I would have trouble generating nine to ten pages, but I was able to go beyond that; so the fact that I was able to produce more substance reassured me. Overall, my paper needs to be tighter; I need to tie more theory into it and really establish some ground rules. Once I have that in place, I will be fine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment