Total Pageviews

Monday, September 19, 2011

Rocking the rock star trading card activity

This week one of our in-class projects was something called the Rockstar Trading Card Activity. The name sounds deceptive, because we weren't trading any cards about rockstars. Instead, we ended up choosing a gemstone or rock. We then had to answer so many questions and create a google document for our activity.

Ginny was right. This activity required much more processing. That is, the process of completing the task was probably the hardest part about it. With the web quest activity, all of the information was already there for us to use. However, it did take a long time to compose those web quests, even though I wasn't creating them. Anyways, it took me a bit longer than I would have liked to get started on my activity. I felt a little brain scattered at the beginning because I was trying to find the example on the course website while looking up information about my rock while creating the google document. However, once I managed to sort things out, the activity wasn't that bad. Granted, I'm not too much inclined towards the sciences, but I am a fan of learning, so the information I found on my rock was pretty cool.

For this activity, I chose peridot as my rock. I feel like I learned quite a bit about my rock. For instance, peridot is commonly mispronounced by many people. It's derived from a french word, peritot, which means unclear. This is what shapes the peridot's physical characteristics. Many people pronounce peridot as pear-e-dot. It's actually pronounced pair-a-do. Interesting, isn't it? Also, production of the peridot is highest in Colorado, but that's the more common peridot. In places such as Myanmar, Egypt, and Pakistan, the peridot production is a lot less frequent, so it makes the value of their peridot much higher. All in all, the information I learned about my rock was the aspect I enjoyed the most about this activity.

If I were to complete this activity again, I would make sure that I was organized before starting my task. Organization would have helped a lot with this activity, and organization is also key when working in the classroom. You can never be too prepared because you don't know what's going to happen. Another consideration I would keep in mind the next time is being able to have an open mind and be flexible. I chose peridot because it interested me and it didn't seem as common as some of the other rocks, but I could have chosen another rock. With the activities we're doing in class, we only have so much control on what we're doing. Sometimes we might not even have that much say in the matter because our activities are already chosen for us. It's kind of the same in the classroom. When you're the teacher, even if you're the one planning the activities, you can't always control every more, every step of the activity. Yes, you an set it up to where it's easier to complete the task step-by-step, but you never know what's going to come up with your kids. Overall, it's been another good learning experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment