Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Mastering Digital Tools in the Classroom

This week has been a tremendous learning experience! Our class was split into groups of three to four people and we went on a scavenger hunt! My group was all elementary preservice teachers, and we were assigned opposites. Of the items we were assigned, we found objects for clean, dirty, hot, cold, wet, dry, short, tall, fat, and thin. I must say though, there really aren't enough interesting things on campus to make the scavenger hunt, well, even more interesting!

The post-scavenging process required us to make at least two different presentations of our scavenger hunt. We had to make one presentation using Picasa Web Albums and then either Google Presentation, Glogster, or Smilebox. I actually ended up doing three: Picasa, Google, and Smilebox. I will say that the most frustrating part of this whole process was editing and re-sizing all of my images. I found that the work I did in Picasa was the most tedious and time consuming out of all three presentations. However, the embedding part was relatively simple.

As far as Google and Smilebox go, they were both much easier and quicker to set up. Google was probably the more plain of the two. When I say plain, I mean that I wanted more variety in font and background. At the same time though, google is not as sophisticated as powerpoint. Still, it's pretty cool to know that google has so many tools and resources for anyone to use. Smilebox was pretty cool to use too. The thing I didn't like about Smilebox is that you have to subscribe to a membership plan. I can understand that though, because they offer so much variety, whether it be music, background, format, styles, anything! It's really incredible.

As teacher, introducing various digital tools to my students will be fun and vital to their learning experience with technology. With tools such as Google Presentations, I would help my students create slideshows or presentations for class projects, or even just with presenting in front of the class. With tools such as Picasa and Smilebox, I think it would be fun to create "All About Me" projects with my students where they could share some fun parts of their life or family. Plus, I could use all of these tools to create my own presentations for my classes.

With this project, I think that my take home lesson is that I have learned how to make various digital presentations. I think it'll be a great tool in the classroom whenever I want to present various slideshows in my lessons. Plus, it will be of great use for scavenger hunts! I think that the next time I set up a similar presentation/slideshow, I will probably re-size all of my images first. Then, I would organize them. When I'm actually setting up a presentation, I would, for the sake of my sanity, choose the easiest presentation set-up first before tackling the more challenging ones. This project was definitely stressful at times, but overall, I'm glad I did it. I learned something new and useful, and I got to play around with images.

No comments:

Post a Comment