Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

My Resource Wiki

This week, my technological skills are being pushed even further with the creation of a resource wiki. For this activity, I am placed into my licensure group, so elementary ed. For our wiki, we have to create at least five different pages, but we have six. So far, the activity has not been that difficult. I will say that the biggest challenge with this activity has been that the new room configuration makes it hard to work with the other people in my group. While I'm working on the resource wiki, I'll just have to regularly check against the rubic to make sure I'm not missing any steps. Thankfully, one of our group members has posted a reminder on the criteria needed for the wiki on each separate page.

I was editing some pages on our wiki earlier this week and I just kind of perused the other pages. I thought it was really cool to see so many different subjects that an elementary teacher has to teach. I'm sure that sometimes the thought of having to everything-math, science, social studies, and reading, can be quite overwhelming. Still, if you're invested in your students and you have that passion for them to learn and succeed, you'll find it rewarding. Also, in this exercise you're not doing everything on your own. I really like how group work is very advantageous to us in this activity. Sure, I might be able to create fifteen resources for five separate pages, but it's so much easier when there are five or six other people working with you.

In terms of classroom use, wikis are very multifaceted, but a big wiki project like this one could be even more so. With group wikis. I could see myself using them for a number of different things. One use could be if I had to assign a vocabulary worksheet assignment that were paired in groups. Each group could create their own wiki. Within each group, each group member would have to contribute to their wiki by writing in so many vocabulary words and providing definitions. For math, I could use wikis to post math problems and then allow access to my class so they could fill in the answers to the questions. Also, any type of planning my students might be doing would be good with a wiki. For instance, if my students were planning a party, they could post the needed items on a wiki. The same goes for planning a field trip. I would say that most projects that require collaboration I would use with a wiki.

One thing I'm learning is preparing your information ahead of time. I definitely agree with Ginny's comment on creating your sources in a word document and then uploading them later. I think it saves time and you're better organized. Plus, you don't run the risk of hogging up the page while you're editing. I should probably do that with the rest of my resources that I need to add. If I were to repeat this activity, I would be better organized. That is, identify the sources I have and want to include, the pages where I want to add my resources, and typing up my information ahead of time to reduce stress.



No comments:

Post a Comment