Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 26, 2011

An artifact for years to come

This is my final project, creating a website. My website will serve as a teacher's website and it will also be my artifact for TPTE 486. I'm excited about this project. I've been working on it immensely this past week, and that was a bit draining, but I got a lot of stuff done.

For my website, I need at least 4 pages- a teacher's bio, tech projects page, resource page, and teacher's choice. On Wednesday, I added my projects onto the tech projects page, added some resources, and included my pictures (I need at least five). One aspect of this project that I enjoy is being able to customize my website-everything from page layout to colors to pictures. It's great! Another aspect I like is how user-friendly google is. The textbook states that you don't have to be a techie to become web-skilled savvy, and I definitely believe that. Every year, there are so many new web tools that are being updated and developed, there's no way one single person can keep up with all of them all the time. Plus, because these web tools are open to the public, anyone can learn how to use them. Further, I really appreciate the assistance we're receiving with this project, like all the step-by-step instructions with the sidebar; that's helpful for sure.

As is the case with technology, there are bound to be a few mishaps. One of the them, like I've previously mentioned, is the fact that spending too much time working on a website can be draining. I would recommend to anyone working on this type of project to storyboard! I have storyboarded my website, and I find that it's tremendously helpful. My experience so far has taught me that planning/storyboarding helps me focus my ideas by putting it down on paper or mapping out a diagram in Inspiration. Another problem I've encountered is with the actual sidebar. The sidebar can be iffy at times. For instance, I would create a new page and try to add it onto my sidebar. However, when I went to add my new page, I had trouble finding it on the navigation tool, and it wasn't until a few tries that I realized you have to click on the add page button on the bottom of the navigation tool.

Although I still have time to add color to my website, I'm afraid it might be a little "bland" right now. For me, I like the design. It's a notes design layout, so the layout looks like it's on scrap sheets of notebook paper. Still, I might need to spice it up for the younger grades. Further, I was a little annoyed at how I had to keep crediting websites that published the pictures I used. I understand that I have to respect copyright and that the photographers and artists need their credit due. Still, in the future I might invest in taking my own pictures and uploading them.

I think that when I have my own classroom, I would definitely use my website as a means of communication between students and parents. I have seen previous examples of websites where a student's schedule or supply list was listed, so I think I would use my website for those two things as well. Also, we are creating a parent blog and posting that information on our website, which would be another helpful tool in the classroom, so definitely referring back to that in the future. Now that I'm thinking about it, I think that a teacher website is a great way to showcase some of your work and credentials, so I could use my own website to establish credibility to future employers and/or parents.

If I had to do this project again, it wouldn't hurt to storyboard even earlier than I did. I got a headstart on this project before Thanksgiving, but I'm just a nerd and I enjoyed creating and customizing my website. I would probably play around more just so I'm comfortable with how everything works. Like I said, I may take my own pictures in the future and upload them onto my website. Feedback never hurts either. If you're unsure about something, ask. Your instructor is probably willing to help you out, especially if you're still new to technology. 

No comments:

Post a Comment