Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Creating an eportfolio

In chapter four of the textbook, we read about portfolios, both paper and electronic formats. We didn't discuss portfolios a great length in class, but reading about the information regarding portfolios was very helpful, and I think it's important to know how to use them.

I don't really feel like I have created a portfolio, electronic or otherwise. However, I probably have most of the resources need to complete one. For example, I have storyboarded ideas for many of my projects, and I have them saved on my computer and flash drive, so retrieving them shouldn't be a problem. Also, I have copies of examples of my worked saved in multiple locations. Looking back, I think that a lot of my projects serve as a kind of tool to help prepare me for any portfolio I would create in the future. For instance, the scavenger hunt that's saved in Google, Picasa, and Smilebox are already in presentation format. All I have to do is include that in my work. Also, the IBA activity is another completed assignment that I could add to my portfolio, as well as bigger projects, such as the excel spreadsheet, inspiration project, and iMovie. Not to mention, I do have that website I'll be turning in that doubles as my artifact.

At this point, if I were to create a portfolio, I would need to gather all of my images and other media and organize them. I'm glad I saved my images in separate folders for my projects; it saved a lot of time and helped me a ton with organization and stress relief. Also, I would have to go through my projects and showcase my best examples from the class. I think it could be a fun endeavor, if done creatively and correctly.

I liked the tips and advice outlined in the chapter. I definitely believe that creating a hierarchy and separate folders is vital to managing an effective portfolio. Also, I absolutely agree with the comment that you should save your work in multiple places. A lot of people take that last bit of information for granted sometimes, but you have to protect your files. I feel bad for teachers who are having to merge all their paper projects and examples into electronic files. For me, there might be some images or other media tools that I would also have to converge, and that would take up a lot of time. In addition, I agree with how teachers need to be mindful of the different platforms they are using and how accessible it is for students. For instance, I own a mac at home and I enjoy the different features that a mac has to offer. However, if I had a student who had only used pc's, the learning curve might be a bit of a struggle. Thus, I would have to make sure that I was using a program that was compatible for both macs and pcs, like Firefox which is compatible for both as opposed to Safari which is mac-only compatible.

When I become a teacher, I would, first of all, hopefully have my portfolio completed before I start teaching, and would also make it accessible to my students. I could present my portfolio in a digital-friendly  format, such as a fun presentation or making it available through a website or word processor program. Plus, having a portfolio would assure parents that their children are being educator by a capable person, so I would make it available to them as well, along with any administrator or potential employer. I thought the "Voices from the Classroom" segment regarding portfolios was really cool. Anissa Vega's endeavor was inspiring, and I admire her initiative; she wasn't afraid to take a risk/challenge in what she was creating, and her efforts paid off! I definitely hope that future teachers will become comfortable enough with learning the technology and being able to set future examples such as hers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment